Our Basset Hound Puppies Will Melt Your Heart!
Our Basset Hound Puppies will be love at first sight!
The Basset hound is thought to come from as far back as the 1500s when the French were using low slung, heavy-bodied hounds to trail rabbits. The word “bas” is French for “low” befitting the Basset hound’s signature stature. For hunters, the Basset was the ideal companion as its slow and steady gait was easy to trail after. In the United States, the Basset quickly moved on from hunting dog to beloved family pet. Familiarized to the public by cartoons, commercials and mascots, the Basset remains a very popular large breed dog to this day. This laid-back breed is easily one of the most recognizable in the dog world, but what else do you know about Basset? Don’t worry, that’s where we come in! Read on for interesting facts about the Basset hound. Puppy Love often has Basset hound puppies for sale in Roanoke, VA, check them out on our available puppies page!
This hound dog will steal your heart, check out more on their breed and personality:
- Bassets are heavy-boned dogs with a thick body on short, stubby legs. Because they are a large breed, Bassets are slow maturing dogs, often not reaching full size until two years old. They have an average weight of 40-80lbs!
- The Basset has a short, shiny coat that comes in typical hound colors: red and white and tri-color, with ticking being fairly common. They don’t require much grooming and are considered average to heavy shedders.
- The Basset hound is a friendly, outgoing breed. Originally used hunting with a pack, they tend to be good with other dogs and other pets. Bassets are people oriented and get along well with children.
- Because they are hound dogs, they have that deep baying bark typical of the category. They do better having a bigger environment and yard, even though they have minimal exercise requirements, as they like to wander scenting around.
- Bassets need patience and a firm hand with training. They have a keen mind, but get distracted easily.